Have you ever met someone who thinks “green” and “sustainability” are terms that are just the current-trend of the times? Unfortunately, I have. I have heard people say “organic” is just a trend. Maybe these people do not understand that sustainability refers to taking care of and being responsible for the resources and maintenance of the world that is raising us. We must protect ourselves and our future by creating environments of sustainable economic, environmental, and social atmospheres.
There are so many things you can do to encourage a sustainable planet & many of these things you have been taught since childhood:
1. Turn off the water faucet when brushing your teeth.
2. Make sure to do full loads of laundry & only run the dishwasher when it is full.
3. Use natural lighting in your house & turn lights off when you are not in the room.
4. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. I don’t even think this should be optional anymore.
5. Plant a garden! This will serve many purposes, including producing healthy foods & providing the opportunity for fresh air and light exercise.
6. Turn off your electronics and take your kids outside. Take your dog outside. Take your significant other or best friend outside. Go for a walk, kick the soccer ball around, and throw a Frisbee. It’s free, it feels good, and you’re making memories.