:NOM:NOM:NOM: I really didn't think I liked eggplant, but then we got a farm share box from our local Lowes Foods and I thought I would give it a shot because the eggplants looked really good. Then, I noticed an unopened package of Johnsonville New Orleans Spicy Smoked Sausage Links and thought...maybe this could work? I was SOOOOOO right!
20 minutes prep time
40 minutes bake time
Total time: 1 hour
Preheat your oven to 350 F
2 TBSP olive oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, divided into 1/4 cups
1 cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 Johnsonville New Orleans Smoked Sausage links, chopped (these are flavorful and do not have too much heat to them but feel free to go meatless or add some ground turkey or lean ground beef for a lower sodium option)
1) Cut eggplant in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh from the inside and chop up the eggplant flesh. It will be used in the filling.
2) Heat up 2 TBSP olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped eggplant and minced garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3) Stir egg into mixing bowl with eggplant mixture. Add breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, chopped tomatoes, and sausage to bowl. Fold together until well combined.
4) Line large baking dish with foil and place the eggplant shells inside with skins facing down. Fill the eggplant holes with the eggplant mixture from bowl, evenly distributed to each eggplant.
5) Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top of the eggplant mixture and put in the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
6) Remove those delicious stuffed eggplants and ENJOY!!!