I have to travel quite a bit for my job and it is always a very anxious experience finding food that is healthy in the airports. The last thing I want to do is resolve to eat fast food and get an upset stomach or feel sluggish when I am on business trips. I really paid attention to what was being offered in the airports I visited (Detroit, Boston, Tallahassee, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.) and was pleasantly surprised with what I found. Charlotte International Airport by FAR had the best options available. The picture above features a Goat Cheese Salad with Roasted Peppers and Pistachios with a delicious balsamic vinaigrette, as well as healthier options for chips and beverages. It was delicious. When you are traveling to the airport, here are some ideas to make your food choices healthier:
- Pack some snacks if you have room: It is okay to bring items such as trail mix or granola bars through security.
- Several of the fast food companies are offering oatmeal as a breakfast option. This is an excellent choice, full of fiber to keep you satisfied longer.
- Choose grilled chicken sandwiches over fried.
- Look for fruit and yogurt parfaits, and I saw hummus and vegetable to-go items in almost every airport I was in.
- When ordering a salad, make sure to have the dressing on the side. Sometimes getting the dressing on a salad can provide more calories than a Big Mac!
- Look for deli sandwiches that have whole wheat/whole grain bread options (such as Subway!)
- If you can, get a Kids Meal for a more appropriate portion.